Theresa Griffin is looking for an enthusiastic and committed Administration Assistant to work in her office in the European Parliament in Brussels.
The salary will be paid in Euro in line with the starting pay grade of a Parliamentary Assistant (Grade 1 on the European Parliament scale).
The post would ideally start in early January 2018, or sooner.
The role will give a successful applicant the opportunity to gain highly valuable work experience and provide an insight into the internal operation of the European Parliament and the work of Theresa Griffin, the other Labour MEPs and the European Institutions.
Duties will include:
- General administration such as managing and responding to incoming email, managing diary and telephone contact and any other general tasks as required
Acting as the first point of contact for the Brussels office, greeting visitors and visiting stakeholders
- Organising meetings, conferences and receptions within the Parliament.
Managing Theresa’s Brussels and Strasbourg diaries, including travel arrangements and bookings.
- Representing Theresa at a variety of meetings in their absence and report back to the MEPs.
Working with, and supporting, other members of staff in Brussels and UK to ensure smooth running of the office
- Other tasks, where necessary.
The following attributes are essential
- Committed to the aims and values of the Labour Party
- Strong organisational, administrative, inter-personal and communication skills
- Fully literate with the Microsoft Office suite
- Fluency in English and French with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of writing for different social media channels
- Able to fit in with the demands of work in the European Parliament, to adapt to new areas of work, and willing to travel as and when required to Strasbourg and the UK
- Able to keep confidences, be reliable, conscientious, loyal and have strong interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and in a small team
- Enjoy working in a multicultural environment
- A degree or 3 years relevant professional experience
- A proven commitment to equality of opportunity
The following attributes would be useful but are not essential
- Labour Party membership, or membership of one of the Labour Party’s sister parties
- Good university degree in a relevant subject
- An understanding of the EU legislative and administrative process and the role of MEPs
- Knowledge of Theresa’s work, and the work of MEPs as a whole
- Knowledge, understanding, and recent experience of Labour politics, including any work for a Labour politician
- Knowledge of the North West Region
- Trade Union membership
Please apply by email by 8pm Tuesday, November 7th 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org with “*Your name* – Administration Assistant Application” in the subject line.
Please attach to the email:
- an up to date CV (maximum 2 sides)
- a letter of motivation (maximum 1 side) explaining how you fit the person specification above
- contact details of two referees
For applicants based in the UK, interviews will be held in Theresa’s Liverpool office on 17th November. For applicants already based in Brussels interviews will be held on 20th and 21st November 2017.